The casual style of home decor has a simple, cozy, and inviting character. It combines textures, lines, and accessories that follows simple and fine layouts with a sense of symmetry, but still plays outside of common boundaries. The concept of casual style is based around homeyness and comfort. Textures are prominent in a simple canvas and furniture is low, large, and cozy. If you’re inspired by simplicity and comfort, the casual style is definitely something to consider for your home.
How to Achieve a Casual Home Decor Style:
- Start small. If you’re not looking for a casual look for your entire home, you can incorporate elements of the style into any type of room. Adding a simple touch of casual into a traditional room can be as easy as adding a functional and decorative item that appears slightly rustic.
- Use what you have. You can transform functional accessories into decorations that are in turn also functional. For example, you can use a stylish bottle as a base for one of your lamps, or a rustic oak door as a coffee or dining table.
- Furniture is more about comfort than decor. The casual decor style consists of specific elements of design. For example, large cozy furniture, such as upholstered chairs or a comfortable couch dressed with an easy to clean slipcover, fit the bill. The coffee table is also meant to be large and simple, often with drawers for functionality and a place to rest the feet.
- Keep fabrics natural and colours neutral with darker hues for contrast. To add more character to the room, accents such as pillows and curtains should be in neutral or pastel tones, with simple patterns and textures. Darker hues are used for contrast. Fabrics and materials are natural like wool, cotton, linen, rattan and wood.
- Details and accessories should be simple. Plain shapes like rectangles or circles and items with smooth curves work well with the casual home decor style.
(Image source: Arcadian Home: http://arcadianhome.com/blog/basics-of-casual-style-home-decor)