If you have a room that is lacking style and warmth, there are many things you can do to liven it up. Here are ten easy tips to give your room that designer charm and flare:
1. Paint the baseboards and door and window frames. A fresh coat of crisp white to give your room a clean look.
2. If you don’t have it already, add crown moulding to the room. It will give the space a feel of luxury and sophistication.
3. If you’ve got basic baseboards, change them. Taller baseboards will give your room a more glamorous look instantly.
4. Add depth with a mirror. A unique mirror will not only provide your room with some glam, but it will also brighten up the space and make it feel bigger.
5. Upgrade the lighting in the room. If you have builder light fixtures or dated ones, change your light fixture to something more relevant. Look for a fixture that suits your style be it rustic, modern or contemporary. Then be a little brave. A stylish and prominent light fixture can upgrade your room in an instant.
6. Paint the room or even just one wall. Sometimes a fresh coat of paint in a new colour is all you need to make a room pop. Even painting the anchor wall in your room a different colour than the other walls, can give a designer’s touch.
7. Add a statement furniture piece. Liven up boring furniture in a room by adding a bolder piece. For example, an ordinary couch coupled with a vibrant accent chair can imply an intended look. Even adding a chic bar cart or unique lamp, can add some punch to an otherwise “normal” room.
8. Add interesting artwork. The great thing about art is that almost anything can be called art if you hang it correctly. You can select different art pieces including quotes, decals, sceneries, or your child’s artwork – to name a few. Be selective with what you hang and how you hang it. Respecting the “white space” of a wall correctly will give a more classy vibe.
9. Add punches of colour in your textiles. The great thing about fabrics is that they are easy to swap at the turn of a season. You can easily add colour to a room through curtains, pillows, rugs, towels and table linens.
10. De-clutter the room. Giving your room the old toss, keep, or give-away run through is by far the easiest thing you can do to give your room an update. Ask yourself, do I really need this? Is it functional? If not functional, is it adding any decorative or sentimental value? If the answer is no, say goodbye!